- Lord, now lettest thou thy servant depart in peace,
- according to thy word:
- For mine eyes have seen thy salvation,
- Which thou hast prepared before the face of all people;
- A light to lighten the Gentiles,
- and the glory of thy people Israel.
~ ~ ~
This song grabbed my soul when I was 15 years old.
We sang this text in high school choir.
I have never found the musical setting of that “Song of Simeon”.
Every year I look.
When I was 15, I didn’t think to write a composer’s name down.
I wish I could find it.
Because I’d love to share it with you.
No Nunc Dimittus I’ve heard comes close
to the glory of the tune I know,
even though some are quite good.
Rembrandt’s painting is compelling.
I love Simeon’s hands and eyes.
Rembrandt capture’s Simeon’s heart full of joy.