We are culture full of mooing affirmations. We accentuate the positive and avoid the negative. However, what you deny is as important as what you affirm.
Think about it.
If you ask a friend what she loves, that will tell you something about her.
But ask her what she hates. The answer to that question will reveal a different side.
The Proverbs illustrate this, don’t they? In one verse you see the antithesis: A false balance is abomination to the Lord; but a just weight is his delight.
In the spirit of affirmations and denials I’ve been compiling a Loathsome List. Strictly speaking, some of the items are more irritating or annoying than loathsome. And just because it lands on the list doesn’t mean that I’ve banished it from my life (particularly # 1 and #11). And what may be loathsome (can you tell I like how that word rolls off the tongue?) to me may be acceptable to you. So we allow each other a measure of quirkiness.
So what about you, my friend? What do you hate?
2. Bitter cucumber
3. The demise of
4. Hearing harmony
6. Screaming, kicking tantrums in the grocery store
7. Quiet tantrums held within my head.
8. Any email with a
promise postscripted if you forward it to five people
9. A mosquito’s buzz
near the pillow
10. Racist comments,
11. Produce I’ve let
spoil in the fridge
12. Cut-off telephone
conversations without a proper farewell
13. A good book with
the last pages missing (not theoretical)
14. An unreconciled bank statement
15. A listener to gossip
16. Litter (written the day after July 4th)
17. 105° without air conditioning
18. Used gum in inappropriate places (underneath tables, on the street)
19. A stain on a favorite white tee shirt
20. Interest paid for consumables – like throwing $20 bills out the back door